The opening of the Lake Erie Waterfront Trail and Erie Coastal Stewardship Eco Trail in 2013 links the region to the existing Lake Ontario Waterfront Trail. The route follows the shoreline passing many beach and naturalized areas, local attractions, and well placed towns enroute.
An off road trail north from Port Dover, makes for a pleasant ride and is also an easy way to connect to Brantford and VIA Rail Bike Train options. Forest trails also offer mountain bikers a reason to journey to the region. Known for local foods, no cyclist will go hungry or thirsty pairing a cycling experience with culinary adventure in Norfolk and Haldimand Counties.
Cross-Regional Cycle Routes & Trails Information
Lake Erie Waterfront Trail – This fully-signed cross regional route starts in near Windsor or Fort Erie and follows the Lake Erie shoreline passing through lakeside communities in Haldimand and Norfolk Counties on primarily paved roads. The Lake Erie trail connects with the Lake Ontario Waterfront Trail via the Niagara River Recreation Trail. This large trail network spans 1400km from the Quebec border to the Windsor region. Detailed route maps now available at www.waterfronttrail.org
Trans Canada Trail (TCT) – A portion of this cross-Canada trail runs through Haldimand and Norfolk Counties. Multi-use trails with various surface types.
- Caledonia Riverside Rotary Trail – This 13 km gravel trail from Caledonia to York, in Haldimand County, includes approximately 6 km of scenic Grand River country.
- Dunnville Trail – This gravel trail stretches 25.5 km through an urban landscape in Haldimand County.
- Chippewa Rail Trail – This shorter 3 km gravel trail brings cyclists to the boarder of the City of Hamilton in northern Haldimand County A connection point to the Greenbelt Route.
- Delhi Rail Trail – This converted railway corridor, known as the old CN Rail Line, connects the neighbouring towns of Simcoe and Delhi in Norfolk County. In Simcoe, access the trail just off Norfolk Street North on Davis Street. The trail heads west to Fertilizer Road, just east of Delhi, with access points at Park Road near the Toyotetsu Plant, at Windham East Quarterline Road, Nixon Road and Windham West Quarterline Road. The gravel trail is approximately 18 km long. See also below listing for Norfolk County Trails (under Norfolk County – Published Maps) for trail map.
- Waterford Heritage Trail – This 18 km gravel trail in Norfolk County runs north into Brant County. The trail boasts a 166 m long high-level bridge, called the Black Bridge, with panoramic views of the Waterford Ponds.
- Norfolk Sunrise Trail – This 4 km gravel trail runs through Simcoe and follows the historical Lake Erie and Northern Railway line north to the 13th Concession of Townsend. Constructed in 2009, this trail connects the Lynn Valley Trail that runs south to Port Dover (see under Norfolk County – Cycle Routes & Trails Information) and the Waterford Heritage Trail.
- Use the Trans Canada Trail website’s “Explore The Trail” feature to find access points.
Haldimand County – Cycle Routes & Trails Information
On-Road Cycling Routes
- Lowbanks Loop – This 47 km loop route begins at Dunnville Kinsmen Park. Travel along parts of the Feeder Canal and watch for birds and other wildlife. Paved, mostly flat. See Haldimand County Cycling Map, under Haldimand County – Published Maps, below.
- River Route – This 69 km route travels along the scenic banks of the Grand River, starting from Cayuga Kinsmen Park. Paved, mostly flat to rolling hills. See Haldimand County Cycling Map, under Haldimand County – Published Maps, below.
- Hagersville & Area Tour – Enjoy a 51 km scenic tour through Hagersville and Townsend and experience Haldimand County’s small-town charm. Trailhead is Grant Kett Park. Paved, mostly flat. See Haldimand County Cycling Map, under Haldimand County – Published Maps, below.
- Lakeview Tour – This 70 km tour offers many picturesque views along the lakeshore. Starting point is Selkirk Athletic Field. Paved, mostly flat. See Haldimand County Cycling Map, under Haldimand County – Published Maps, below.
- Haldimand Tour – From McKinnon Park, journey along the Grand River and enjoy some of the best scenic backroads in Haldimand County. 71 km. Rolling hills. See Haldimand County Cycling Map, under Haldimand County – Published Maps, below.
- Townsend Recreation Trail – 13 km of paved and lit walkway winding through beautiful Townsend over the Nanticoke Creek. Suitable for biking and other activities.
- Byng Island Conservation Area – This 190-hectare conservation area encompasses Carolinian forest, reforested farmland, and open space. Biking on the park roads is very popular. The conservation authority requests that cyclists obey the rules of the road and wear appropriate helmets.
Haldimand By Bike Cycling Video
Haldimand County – Published Maps & Resources
- Haldimand County Cycling Map Map. Haldimand County Economic Development and Tourism Division. 2011. An extensive network of trails is found along the river, in many parks and conservation areas. The County features a number of cycling routes on this printed map. Print versions available for pick up at visitor information centres.
- Haldimand County Interactive Map - Cycling. New in 2016, this interactive map features all five cycling routes in the county, as well as major trail networks. The map also includes frequently updated points-of-interest, images and other resources useful for cyclists.
- Trails & Pathways. From the Haldimand County website, a list of trails and pathways, plus plans for trail development.
Norfolk County – Cycle Routes & Trails Information
The following on-road bike routes are identified and published with detailed information, online and print maps plus downloadable PDF options. They are also featured in the annual Norfolk Tourism map. See map listed under Norfolk County – Published Maps, below.
- Carolinian Tour – 75 km
- Turbine Tour – 80 km
- Port Town Tour – 55 km
- South Coast Tour – 100 km
- Big Creek Circle – 100 km
- Talbot Tour – 50 km
- Heart of Windham – 40 km
- Antique Tour – 60 km
- Waterfront Trail
- Norfolk Trails – This fantastic resource came online in 2013 and offers outdoor enthusiasts a one-stop shop for trail information in Norfolk County. The site is mobile-friendly and offers users access to downloadable pdf maps on various trail terrain, including detailed information on mountain biking, as well as on-road and off-road touring options for cyclists.
- Lynn Valley Trail – This 10 km trail is located on the former CNR rail line that was established along the pioneer river trail in 1873 as the Lake Huron and Port Dover Railway. The trail connects the business districts of Simcoe and Port Dover, passing through a number of different habitats including mixed woods, wetlands, open grassland and agricultural land, all along the scenic Lynn River. For trail map, see below listing for Norfolk County Trails, under Norfolk County – Published Maps.
- Connecting to Brant County & Brantford & beyond – From Port Dover, cyclists can make their way north to the Brantford area, taking the Lynn Valley Trail, which connects to the Norfolk Sunrise Trail, which in turn connects to the Waterford Heritage Trail. Further trails can connect cyclists to Brantford. Additional rail trails continue through to Hamilton. o See above listings for Trans Canada Trail (under Cross-Regional Cycle Routes & Trails Information) and Lynn Valley Trail.
Regional Mountain Biking Information
- Turkey Point Area (Norfolk) – The area has over 50km of single track mountain biking trails connected to various facilities including Long Point Eco Adventures (LPEA) and Burning Kiln Winery. The trailhead is located at LPEA and the trails are managed by the Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club. Download PDF Trail map here.
- St. Williams Conservation Reserve (Norfolk) – This 1,035 hectare area of Crown land comprises two separate locations – the Nursery Tract and the Turkey Point Tract – within the Long Point World Biosphere Reserve. All trails on the property are open to passive recreation (e.g., walking, hiking, and hunting) unless otherwise posted. Posted trails with specific uses may include multi-use trails (motorized use, cycling), equestrian trails and mountain bike trails. Download Nursery Tract trail map here. and the Download Turkey Point Tract trail map here.
Norfolk County – Published Maps & Resources
- Official Local Food Wineries & Breweries Travel Map. 2014. Map. Norfolk County, Tourism & Economic Development. 2014. o Print copies available: contact Tourism & Economic Development office via www.norfolkfarms.com, or by calling 519-426-9497 or 1-800-699-9038
- Explore Norfolk Trails – Find dowloadable and on-line maps and detailed biking information. www.norfolktrails.ca o On-road cycle touring routes including: Carolinian Tour; Turbine Tour; Port Town Tour; South Coast Tour; Big Creek Circle; Talbot Tour; Heart of Windham; Antique Tour. o Off-road trails, routes and mountain biking including: Delhi Rail Trail; Lynn Valley Trail; Norfolk Sunrise Trail; Waterford Heritage Trail; Backus Woods Trail; Hay Creek Trail.
- Pathways for People. This community coalition promotes pathways for walking and cycling in Norfolk County for health, recreation and active transportation. The site lists a number of multi-use trails, offering downloadable map jpegs, descriptions and photos.
* Please note there are many additional map guides for the region that cyclists may find interesting or useful. New maps and guides are produced yearly, and the information listed here may change.
Haldimand and Norfolk Funding Partners
Program Funding Partners
Haldimand and Norfolk Workshop Partners