Quiet and well-paved roads take cyclists past beautiful agricultural lands and rural communities throughout the area. Looped routes can be connected offering longer or shorter cycling options depending on a riders' skill sets.
Trail riders can explore the region along the Prescott-Russell Recreational Trail. Primarily a crushed stone dust trail with a portion of paved surface, this 72 km rail trail crosses the entire Prescott-Russell region, connecting communities from east to west. Mountain bikers will enjoy the 180 km of trails and gravel roads in Larose Forest, which is set in an area of woodlands and wetlands.
Regional Roads Routes
17 looped road routes are featured on the Ride South Eastern Ontario Cycling Map. A series of route links and connection points offer cyclists the opportunity to create longer cycling routes to extend day trips or create multi-day touring options. There are a total of 24 routes featured on Tourism Prescott-Russell's RidewithGPS Account: RideWithGPS.com/user/603963
The routes listed below are featured on the Ride South Eastern Ontario Cycling Map
- Limoges, Calypso Loop – 24 km
- Alfred, Lafaivre – 25 km
- St. Bernardin, St-Isidore – 29 km
- Rockland Clarence Creek – 34 km
- St-Isidore, Maxwell – 34 km
- Rigaud, Pointe-Fortune – 36 km
- New York Central Trail, Cannamore - 38 km
- Embrun-Casselman Link Loop – 43 km
- Casselman, St. Albert – 45 km
- Plantagenet, Wendover – 46 km
- Bourget, Curran – 54 km
- Vankleek Hill, Ste-Anne-de-Prescott - 49 km
- Vankleek Hill, Caledonia Springs – 43 km
- Cyclo-route Hawkesbury a Lefaivre – 54 km
- Cyclo-route, Rockland, Fassett – 71 km
- Cyclo-route Hawkesbury, Pointe-Fortune - 55km
Regional Cycling Trails
- Prescott Russell Recreational Trail – The trail is 72 km and passes agricultural countryside, past farms and through historic villages including Vankleek Hill, Plantagenet, Bourget, St. Eugène and Hammond. Mostly soft stone dust, with sections near some towns paved.
- New York Central Trail - Currently 7 km long, this gravel surface trail links the villages of Embrun and Russell. The trail is located on the 38 km New York Central Trail, Cannamore, a mixed trail/road route featured on the Ride South Eastern Ontario Cycling Map.
Regional Mountain Biking Trails
- Larose Forest Trails – 180 km of trails through forest and marsh land. Two parking lots available on Indian Creek Rd. just north of Boundary Rd, and on Champlain St. south of Bourget. Trail Map available.
Cross Regional Routes and Trails in Eastern Ontario
Prescott Russell Pathway - A key connection to the city of Ottawa for recreational cyclists, the Prescott-Russell Pathway is a 20 km stone dust, multi-use trail extending eastward from the greenbelt near Blair Rd through the Village of Navan, part of the City of Ottawa, where it connects to the longer 72 km Prescott-Russell Recreational Trail at Canaan Road.
La Route verte – Quebec's provincial cycling network spans approximately 5,000 km on both on-road and off-road cycling facilities. Route Verte #1 begins northwest of Ottawa in Outaouais running on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, through Gatineau and adjacent to the United Counties of Prescott Russell on the north shore of the Ottawa River between Rockland and St. Eugene.
- Additional cycling information in Ottawa available www.ontariobybike.ca/ottawa
Trans Canada Trail - While not coming directly through the United Counties of Prescott Russell, this cross-Canada trail runs through Ottawa and into the province of Quebec. The TCT is a four-season, multi-use trail system with various surface types and users. Located approximately 28 km from the border of Prescott-Russell through various trails and road routes.
Great Lakes Waterfront Trail – The Great Lakes Waterfront Trail Follows Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and Lake Huron’s shoreline from Quebec to Grand Bend, this well-mapped and well-signed route offers a mixture of paved on and off-road trails covering 1,600 km. It is a popular route with both day trip cyclists, overnight and long distance cyclists to/from Quebec, who can connect to the trail via La Route Verte #5. Located approximately 50 km from the border of Prescott-Russell through various routes that are featured on the Ride South Eastern Ontario cycling map.
- For more information and to access downloadable maps or order print map books visit www.WaterfrontTrail.org
Cycling Information Sources and Published Maps
Ride South Eastern Ontario Cycling Map. 2016. Map. This cross-regional, bilingual cycling map features 17 routes in the United Counties of Prescott-Russell and 8 routes the Cornwall and the Counties tourism region (opposite side of map). Download or request the printed map or access the RideWithGPS accounts available on map for those looking for digital routing options.
- To request a hardcopy visit www.tprt.ca/en/order-guides or call 1-800-361-7439 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Prescott-Russell Cycling Map. 2014. Map. Bilingual map featuring 12 cycling routes, both on-road and off-road. Also highlights the Prescott-Russell Recreational Trail and trail access points and services.
Cycl-o-Route – Ottawa River Cycling Map – 2016. Map. This map includes three looped routes along the Ottawa River, featuring cycling in both Ontario and Quebec. Other trail and cycling networks highlighted on map. Services, transportation (ferries) and other resources are available on map. Developed in partnership between Prescott-Russell Tourism, and the Quebec municipalities of Argenteuil Regional County and Papineau Regional County.
Prescott Russell Recreational Trail Website – A website providing tourism resources for the trail, including path and other route locations, pavilions and communities connected by the trail, construction and other trail conditions, as well as events associated with the trail.
Prescott-Russell Workshop Partners